The Bread & Roses Playwriting Award
Competition for full length theatre plays that have not previously been produced or published and feature at least half of female, non-binary or gender neutral roles.
The Bread & Roses Theatre Playwriting Award is a competition for full length theatre plays that have not previously been produced or published and feature at least half of female, non-binary or gender neutral roles by UK and Europe based writers.
The winning play will receive:
- Professional production at The Bread & Roses Theatre & 10% of box office income (in 2023/24)
- Publication by The Bread & Roses Theatre & royalty from all sales
- Full-length, at least 60 minutes in expected running time.
- Plays must primarily be in the English language.
- Submissions may not have previously been produced or published (up to 3 rehearsed readings are permitted and playwrights may have had other work that’s been produced and/or published) and may not currently be attached to a producer or company.
- At least half the material should be female or non-binary roles (measured by number of lines/presence and may include non-gender-specific roles).
- Plays should not require more than a cast of 7.
- Playwrights must be based in the UK or Europe.
What and How to Submit
- Plays must be submitted in one single file in Word or PDF format
- The playwright’s name or any other identifying details (e.g. phone number, address, social media etc.) must NOT be anywhere on the document itself, as the judging process will be anonymous.
- Plays should be submitted through the submission form on our website
- Late submissions cannot be accepted under any circumstances (including technical difficulties), so we recommend submitting in good time.
- Previously submitted plays may be resubmitted if they have been redrafted.
- Playwrights may only submit one play per person or writers collective.
Deadline 12pm on Friday 14th October 2022.
To submit and for further info, visit the Bread and Roses Playwriting Award webpage.