Vacancies: Development Executive
Blinder Films is one of Ireland’s leading production companies, working across feature films and television drama. Recent productions include Mike Ahern and Enda Loughman’s Extra Ordinary starring Maeve Higgins and Will Forte, Chris Baugh’s Boys from County Hell, and the upcoming Mr Malcolm’s List directed by Emma Holly Jones starring Freida Pinto, Zawe Ashton, Ṣọpẹ́ Dirisu, Oliver Jackson Cohen, Theo James and Ashley Park, and Claire Dix’s debut feature Sunlight.
The Development Executive will work creatively on the current development slate of projects (TV Drama and Film) and also oversee management of the admin, and standard finance and legals on each project. The Development Executive will also be responsible for sourcing new material for development for feature film and television drama projects, for consideration by the Producers. Creative thinking is key to this role: finding the right projects for the right partners & then getting them through to commission.
- Overseeing the day-to-day development and running of the projects on the Blinder Films slate (in consultation with the Producers)
- Script-editing individual projects as required, providing both written and face-to-face feedback
- Tracking talent, reading submissions, keeping project logs and responding to/rejecting submissions as appropriate, and leading weekly submissions and development meetings
- Proactively seeking out and tracking new talent and potential projects to consider (via liaising with agents, keeping abreast of industry and world news, seeking potential adaptive material, etc.) and shortlisting and selecting writing candidates for projects
- Liaising with book scout on material to consider and researching ideas for story, talent and production potential
- Securing the necessary rights to projects and dealing with agents on these agreements in conjunction with outside legal advisor and individual producer
- Preparing development funding applications, managing contracting and ensuring subsequent delivery of materials
- Developing high quality project specs/pitch documents including synopses, one sheets and treatments and assisting with support materials (visual pitch books, etc.) where required
- Engaging and overseeing external script editors and readers as and when required
- Working with Office Manager to ensure up to date development accounts, ensuring invoices are settled, etc.
- Supporting all creative aspects of development, production and post-production as required.
The successful candidate:
- Must care deeply about making impactful and entertaining film and television and be an avid viewer/consumer of content.
- Must possess a passion for creative excellence as well as an efficient and organized personality with the ability to turn ideas into action.
- Will have demonstrated experience in script development including but not limited to coverage, script feedback and development notes, the assessment of projects from a creative perspective and the ability to interpret editorial intentions, and to contribute to the generation of ideas and the resolution of script problems
- Knowledge of key agents and new and existing talent within the industry and is very familiar with the Irish screen sector
- Is comfortable working with business affairs and legal, and has a solid understanding of intellectual property rights and strong negotiation and relationship management skills
- Has experience with public funding applications – experience with Irish and European agencies such as Screen Ireland and Creative Europe will be a plus
- Has strong verbal and written communication skills and is a resourceful self-starter with an independent attitude and the ability to lead constructive dialogue with sensitivity and tact
- Will have great attention to detail while still meeting tight deadlines and have the ability to switch gears and manage a variable workload
- A commitment to Diversity and Inclusion within the Screen Sector.
Please apply with your current CV and cover letter. In your cover letter please write a note explaining why you are interested in the position and why you feel you are suitable for the role. This is a full time position. Salary consistent with industry norms and commensurate with experience. Blinder Films is looking for diverse perspectives.
The deadline for applications is January 21st, 2022.